1Aeolian (2015-16)12:57Annie MahtaniRacines
1. pertaining to Aeolus, or to the winds in general.
2. of or caused by the wind; wind-blown.
This work is composed from recordings made in College Valley in North Northumberland (England, UK) on a field recording expedition in May 2015. Situated on the northern edge of the Cheviot Hills, College Valley is a haven for wildlife and vegetation and the perfect location for wildlife sound recording. On this particular weekend, the weather was not conducive to dawn choruses but instead displayed spectacular winds which were ever present and consequently a feature in all recordings.
Aeolian celebrates the remoteness of the valley: still but never quiet. The burn rushes along the valley, penetrating the aural landscape with its monotony. The driving wind rarely eases, speeding through the desolate expanse. Small birds, a cuckoo, emptiness. Fences reveal their internal harmonies singing louder as the wind picks up.
Aeolian was realized in 2015-16 at the EMS (Stockholm, Sweden) and the Electroacoustic Music Studios of the University of Birmingham (UK). It was premiered on April, 30, 2016 during the BEAST FEaST festival in Birmingham (UK). Thanks to Chris Watson and Jez Riley French for an inspiring field recording weekend.
- April 30, 2016, Annie Mahtani, diffusion • BEAST FEaST 2016: Concert 6, Elgar Concert Hall — Bramall Music Building — University of Birmingham, Birmingham (England, UK)
- Instrumentation: 24-channel fixed medium
- Composer(s): Annie Mahtani
- Year of composition: 2015-16
- Publisher(s): Ymx média
- ISRC: CAD501910025