1Voix blanche (1988, 89) Suzanne Binet-Audet, ondes Martenot13:02Gilles GobeilTrilogie d’ondes
2Voix blanche (1988, 89) Suzanne Binet-Audet, ondes Martenot13:02Gilles GobeilLa mécanique des ruptures
In memory of Serge Garant (1929-1986)
This dramatic piece brings together one of the earliest electronic instruments and one of the most recent developments in digital audio technology. The instrumentalist occupies a well-defined space in this universe of sound on tape. However, her role is not that of the traditional soloist. The tones of the ondes Martenot, supple and expressive, approach the strains of the human voice, and seek to meld with the highly intense material on tape.
[English translation: François Couture, iii-05]
Voix blanche [White Voice] was produced at the composer’s studio. It was premiered on November 18, 1988, at the Salle Claude-Champagne in Montréal as part of a Radio-Canada concert celebrating the 60th anniversary of the ondes Martenot. The piece was commissioned by the performer, Suzanne Binet-Audet, and produced with support from the Canada Council for the Arts (CCA). Voix blanche was awarded the 2nd Prize in the mixed electroacoustic category at the 17th Bourges International Electroacoustic Music Competition (France, 1989) and the 2nd Prize at the 11th Luigi Russolo International Competition (Varese, Italy, 1989).
- November 18, 1988, Suzanne Binet-Audet, ondes Martenot; Francis Dhomont, Gilles Gobeil, diffusion • Les grands concerts de CBF-FM 100,7: Concert 3: 60e anniversaire des ondes Martenot, Salle Claude-Champagne — Université de Montréal, Montréal (Québec)
- 2nd prize, Mixed Electroacoustic Music Prize, 17th Bourges International Electroacoustic Music Competition 1989, Bourges (Cher, France)
- 2nd prize, Concorso internazionale Luigi Russolo di musica elettroacustica 1989, Varese (Italy)
This version was recorded by Gilles Gobeil on December 16-17, 2004, in Boucherville (Québec) and mixed by the composer and the performer in the composer’s studio in January 2005.
This version was recorded at the de Sainte-Famille Church in Boucherville (Québec) on September 29 and 30, 1992 and mixed at the Amaryllis studio in Lévis (Québec) in December 1993.
- Instrumentation: ondes Martenot and stereo fixed medium
- Composer(s): Gilles Gobeil
- Year of composition: 1988, 89
- Commission: Suzanne Binet-Audet, with support from the CCA
- ISWC: T0715412137
- Publisher(s): Yul média
- ISRC: CAD500518780, CAD509411110